Blandford Fly Warning! It’s That Time of Year Again.
Blandford Fly bites are most common during May and June. They usually occur on the ankles/legs and can be very painful. They may produce a severe, localised reaction around the area of the bite.
Advice for prevention is to cover your ankles and legs when outside and use insect repellent.
Tips if You Get Bitten:
1. Clean the bite area and dry gently.
2. Do not scratch, this could lead to infection.
2. Apply cold compress or calamine lotion.
3. Hydrocortisone cream may reduce inflammation.
4. Antihistamine tablets can help if taken promptly.
5. Antihistamine creams are not recommended as they themselves can cause skin reactions.
6. Cover large blisters with a dry dressing.
7. If bites are on the lower limbs there may be swelling of the ankles and feet for several days, do not worry about this – just rest with the feet supported on a stool whenever possible.
Complications Requiring Medical Advice:
1. Discomfort / swelling or red lines appearing in the groin area or armpit.
3. Spreading redness/hotness around the bite lasting longer than 3 days.